Thursday, July 14, 2011

Safe!

I'm am glad to report that I am safe in Addis Ababa.  After an hour long delay and dealing with lost luggage I am happy to say that I am in one piece :D!  The city is much like any big city but when you start reaching the outskirts at about 6:30 or 7 in the morning you start seeing hundreds of people walking towards the city.  Perhaps to go to work.  I was also able to catch a glimpse of some runners stretching after a long workout.  The guest house is a lot nicer than I had anticipated and there are a few other volunteers from New Zealand, Scotland, and other European countries.  There's running water (half the time), a fridge, and electricity.  The weather is a little overcast and reminds me of San Francisco. We have tea, coffee, cereal, and toast for breakfast and everyone is extremely nice.  Getinet, my host has a great sense of humor and has already started teaching me wrong things to say to people in Amharic.  I've already said "Hi elephant" to a lady that works in the guest house...  Until my next opportunity to check in!

2 comments:

  1. dang dude, very descriptive! I have a sense of your surroundings. It all sounds really fun and exciting. I'm to hear you got there alright. Did you get your luggage?? -Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on reaching the destination of your first "real" developing world adventure and charitable endeavour, Jules!

    Keep the spirit!

    ReplyDelete